8/17/2006

Not quite spring

Today was the first day that I believed that spring would eventually come. It seems like it's been raining and/or bitter cold for as long as I can remember. I've never seen my interlocutor (Philorum and Dialectic) without a big coat on. But today you could feel that spring is just around the corner - spring, the very most glorious time of year in Sydney, the time they put the Olympics on. The flowers burst forth and the sky is brilliant blue and the air positively sings with vibrance and happiness.

Not yet. But soon. Today I knew something had changed because I got half-way up High Holborn before I realised I hadn't buttoned my coat (I was just near the house with the shrine of a lit candle, water bowl and bone, and a poster with a photo of their lost dog, a husky who used to sleep on the porch all the time, day and night, and it apparently disappeared on Tuesday afternoon and it's so sad that I left them a note). And tonight I stopped by the pub near work where I often stop for a schooner of New and a packet of cheese and onion chips on the way home, and instead of the sign on the door saying, "Come on in! Warm inside," which I've pushed through on some nights when the rain was bucketing down in silver sheets at the edges of the awning, instead of that they had all the windows wide open and the big doors out to the balcony, and I went out there, with my coat unbuttoned, and had my drink and read the New Yorker as usual. It will be very nice in the summer there! I look forward to a drink out on the balcony instead of tucked in a table in the corner. I think it will still be a very easy place to have a drink after work by oneself.

There's three rounds to go before semi's in the footy (although my captain just got suspended for the Knights' last two games (bye in the last round) for swearing at a touch judge). Na-no-wri-mo coming up in November, when I was going to have my novel finished (d'oh!). A Christmas feeling due soon after that. Beaches. Light out when you leave work. Swimming? Warm walks on green grass. The earth turning.

Someone once said that the reason you get suicide-threateners to wait three months before they act is that within three months the seasons always change and you get a new perspective on things.

Not yet. But it will be spring soon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home