10/28/2006

New Fridge

The new fridge is supposed to come tomorrow. It had better come tomorrow - they tried to deliver it today, I got a message saying, "We're at your residence, we've been trying to get ahold of you, we're going back to the warehouse now", on the wrong day, I had always said Saturday. I called them and I think we've sorted it out, but will call to confirm tomorrow.

It has taken all, all week to get ready. I had to move all the books from the hallway to the main lounge room (folded the stools and pushed the table aside to make room). I did one a night - all the books out and stacked on the floor, push a towel under one end of the book case, drag it into position, put all the books back in (nowhere else to store them). Then last night was fridge defrosting. Then tonight was fridge emptying and cleaning, and the esky was in a shocking state from being stored outside so I spent quite a bit of time cleaning it as well. The only, only last thing to do is move the boxes (collected from storage in Gosford (see previous entry) but still sitting on the front porch) into my bedroom, which I can do at the last minute tomorrow morning.

But note the time. 2:25 am. The delivery guys could come any time from 8am - they say they will call an hour before, so my plan is to be awake (only just awake, not much more than awake) by 7. This whole endeavour has meant many late nights this week, and once even coming home from work early and sleeping for six hours straight, and also missing a Russoc that I had planned to go to. And of course once the fridge is in I have to put all the books back, and deal with the boxes.

I'm reminded of the move down from Queensland. We called around and found the cheapest possible movers, and decided to do all the packing ourselves. The movers were coming at like 8 the next morning. We ran out of boxes. We ran out of tape. It was February in Brisbane, stinking bloody hot, and it all got a bit completely insane, running out to a 7-11 at 4 in the morning trying to buy tape and only finding masking tape and then it wouldn't stick because it was so hot, and we just used it anyway and thought fuck it, the mover guys can deal with it tomorrow. The sweat of S's brow running like a stream into the box he was packing. Tonight, at now 2:29 and I have to get up at 7 for the fridge whole thing, I again think, how do normal people do this kind of stuff? Why am I always doing this kind of stuff in the middle of the night, with medically dangerous levels of sleep, and thinking, she'll be right, I can handle it, I've done worse.

Mostly I'm thinking, it will be over soon.

But I'm very excited about the fridge.

More news as it happens.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home