6/06/2007

Is abnegation of desire actually good?

Because the thing I really want right now is so far off and will take a while to get to, I've been trying to focus on living in the now. I've been trying to have no desires, so that I don't feel bad that those desires are frustrated.

But today it occurred to me. If you live without desire, does that also destroy your imagination? When I had all the desire about the polyamorous one, it was because I imagined how magnificent our collaboration could be if we truly pushed it to its limits. I even made a big list once, in a fit of mad desire - all the conditions and locations in which we could do Dialectics together, eg in the dark, while very hot, while very cold, while wet, in an empty movie theatre, in a balloon - it went on and on. It was a great list. The collaboration it described would have been so limit-pushing it would have shaken the universe. It would be a way of relating that probably no two people have ever related in before. If I tried to live without desire, would it stop me from imagining such an interesting life for myself?

I mean, no one ever agrees to this kind of proposal. Why don't they ever agree? But no one ever does - I have no adventurous friends or acquaintences at all. So maybe it would be better to not have desires than to imagine them, but I think it's more fun to imagine even if you end up frustrated.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home