8/22/2006

The iPod Alphabet Project

So, after nearly wearing out my 5 Star list played on shuffle on my iPod during walks to work and back, and having a dearth of new music because of budget-watching, it occurred to me a few months ago to go "Shuffle:Off/Music/Songs" and listen to all the songs on my iPod in order, alphabetically.

The first few all started with apostrophes - 'Neath a Cold Gray Tomb of Stone by Hank Williams III was first, and then several versions of 'Round Midnight. Then the songs that start with parenthetical phrases like (Love Is Like A) Heatwave, or (He'll Never Be An) Old Man River by Tism. Then all the numbers, then finally got to A.

Some of the best passages were the songs that started with "Ain't," "Baby," "Bad", "Blue," and "Burn". Very rock and roll-y, blues-inspired of course, although still with quite a bit of variety. Some passages get a bit tedious, like the "Adagio" section, and when recently two Neil Diamond songs came back to back (Brooklyn Roads and Brother Love's Traveling Salvation Show).

I'm up to C. The song that's on right now is Caramel by Blur from the album 13. It's very atmospheric, an experimental sort of track, maybe album filler, a bit. This is song number 682 of 4976 in my full collection. That seems a very high percentage to be through already and only be starting the C's, but then there were all those songs that start with punctuation or numbers at the start so that throws it off I suppose, and then so many songs are called "A something" (38, including all the Spanish ones where the A means "to"). And all the really good rock and roll words seem to start with B (see list above, also "Big" and "Black" and "Bleed" and "Blood" and "Bring"). So it's probably not unusual.

But tonight I had a new record. I often have multiple copies of a song, especially because I have so many Triple J Hottest 100 compilations, but tonight I found I had one song, the same recording of the song by the same band, four times. The song was:

Cannonball
by the Breeders

on:

1. The Breeders' own album Last Splash
2. Rage - the Songs Most Chosen by Rage Guest Programmers
3. Shock Records 13th Anniversary Collection
4. Triple J Hottest 100 from 1993

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home