2/12/2007

Spontaneously there

When you're working on something, you get messages from the universe delivered in all sorts of ways. This one was in David O. Russell's commentary on the I Heart Huckabees DVD. It's the scene where the Existential Detectives finally break Brad Stand, the corporate sales guy.

"He's going to go from this [confrontation about his family] to listening to his story played innumerable times. Which is a fantasy I've always had to do to people who tell you the same story ten times, and you'll hear the story and you'll think, my God, I've heard this story twenty times already from this person.

"It's like they have this repertoire which is a way of avoiding being spontaneously there with you."

How am I to break the tyranny of story-telling and craving a listener? Stop telling stories, and actually be there in the moment with people. How can I ensure every dialectic is fulsome? How can I become a better philosopher? Actually be there, actively, in the moment with people. Stuff the narrative.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home