2/14/2007

Why I will never work for Google

A couple of weeks ago my Gmail account invited me to apply for a job. There I was just innocently reading my email and Google asked me, "Do you have account management experience? Google Sydney is hiring." Well, yes, yes I do have account management experience, I'm gaining more such experience every day. So I sent in a resume, just to see. Got an automated knock-back a few days later, which is sort of what I expected (and the cover letter definitely wasn't my best work, I noticed about three spelling mistakes in it after I sent it, and I think I might have sent an old resume with a mistake in it that made it look like I was at my current job for four months instead of 16).

I have applied for jobs at Google before, and even once made it to an interview. But really, when I look at the things they have available and what they're looking for in an employee, it's not the right industry for me. They build tools to search web sites, and to advertise them. My expertise is in building web sites. I'm on the supply side, if there weren't people like me there wouldn't be anything for Google to Google. But it puts me outside their corporate structure, really. So I should stop looking for jobs with them, I think. I am already in my niche.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home