9/01/2007

Dream #7

This morning on breakfast television they had a story about a new parenting class aimed at first-time fathers - being promoted because Sunday is Aussie Father's Day. The woman who runs the classes was there with a new dad and his brand-new little baby girl, who looked just like him - so cute! The woman mentioned that for a lot of first-time fathers when they bring the baby home from the hospital they really don't know what to do, and are quite cautious and unsure of themselves.

And I thought, "Yeah, modern working people who've been focussing on their careers and haven't spent much time around babies, yeah you'd be unsure of yourself. My partner will probably be like that. I'll probably be like that too, because I got excused from having to babysit from the time I was about 11 years old."

Because it's dreaming week, I could just bask in the possibility, as if it's still out there in the future, as if it's something that will happen.

You knew this one would come up, didn't you. The big one. The baby dream. But since it's this week, I don't have to have the next thought, which is, "Now Ellen, you know you're 44 years old and not even seeing anybody, you know you're past it, it's not going to happen." Because it's this week, I could just use that phrase "I will be like that," and not have to bring in the censoring thought afterward. I can just bask in the possibilities, for two more whole days, and then Monday I have to start being practical again.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home