8/18/2007

sober reflections/post-game analysis

I think the shoe thing was because I just bought the DVD of the movie The Devil Wears Prada. I've watched it about three times now and have watched all the special features and listened to the commentary. What I liked about it the very first time I saw it in a cinema was something they talked about in the "making of" featurette, so I know I wasn't just projecting - this movie is, and was intended to be, primarily a story of a young woman's coming of age, and she does it through work. At work.

I found the movie completely inspiring the first time I saw it (completely ignored everything after she throws her phone in the fountain and read it as praise of pursuing the high-powered but perhaps emotionally empty lifestyle of her job), and felt like it mirrored my own experience quite a bit, including that my boss has his Miranda Priestly moments from time to time. So, watching again now I think the process of identifying with Andy and wanting to emulate her journey makes me think I need to wear much better shoes. Part of her coming of age includes getting rid of her clunky, sensible shoes - that are just like mine - for Manolo Blahnik slingbacks. But I can't find that kind of shoe for myself because I wear a 6 1/2 Double Wide, and they don't make stilettos for us. Not that I've found, anyway.

And it's not the shoes, really, anyway, right? Coming of age is an inner journey. It's the character arch in the movie that grabbed me, and not just the wardrobe. Right?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home